Sunday, September 6, 2015

Start of the Semester

Well, it's already been two weeks into the semester! Time has really started to fly by in the past week as routines are being put into place and we're getting into the swing of things.

School is going great so far! Different, but still good. Compared to MSSU, where you take a few different classes over one semester, students here are only enrolled in one major class that they attend almost every day of the week for the whole schoolyear. Luke and I are both in the photography class so that will be our main focus! I'm not an experienced photographer whatsoever so I'm excited to learn more photography skills with the camera and all the equipment. On Tuesdays, we have no photo class, which means we can sit in with other classes; in my case- ceramics! So far, it's been learning the basics and starting on the wheel making cyllinders. Deja vu from last semester in MSSU ceramics, where it seemed like we spent half the semester making cyllinders! I'm glad this gives me some time to practice throwing since I haven't done it all summer. Plus, I would love to get a solid foundation on it so that I can start making things I'm really proud of. The only bad thing about ceramics is that transporting things back home may not be easy . . . or possible. But just getting the practice in will be good enough for me.

We've done so many fun, new things in the past couple weeks, it's hard to keep track of it all! A few things that stand out . . .

-Swimming in the lake. Luke and I were invited by some awesome students to come swim. This seemed ridiculous because to us, the weather is a little cold and the lake is freezing. To Swedes, the summer is the warmest part of their year and they take advantage of it. We were apprehensive but with a little peer pressure, we were in the water. It actually wasn't so bad once you got your whole body in. Sort of cold but refreshing. There's also a tall platform you can jump off of which I felt the need to attempt. Though not necessarily a thrill seeker, I couldn't just not try it. There are three heights from which you can jump, and I felt content at trying the lowest one at about 20 ft. Seeing the water from up on the platform is so much worse than seeing the platform from the water! After some hesitation (maybe a lot), I jumped into the lake. Though it took some convincing, I'm really glad we got to swim. I felt like it would've been a wasted opportunity not to, and I also knew that if it got any colder, I wouldn't be going in the water at all.

(Photo credit: not mine)

-Getting snacks at the nearby grocery store, ICA. Luke and I have been having fun trying different foods to satisfy our American junk food cravings (being away from all the delicious sugary food is surprisingly hard!). So far, we've tried lots of Swedish snacks, like chips, cakes, cookies, and candy (Swedish people LOVE candy- it's awesome). I've learned that dill potato chips and mini coconut cakes are amazing. Everything else is just as delicious but I definitely have my favorites. And just in case I need some special treat to feel like I'm back home, they sell Ben & Jerry's here too. :)

-Enjoying company . . . with food! It's been really nice to spend time with people and bake together. As fun as it is to try Swedish food, it's really fun sharing American food and seeing what people here think of it. We've made cookies, brownies, and pancakes (twice already!), and I'm sure that many more baking parties are to come.

-Enjoying the weather. It's similar to Missouri in that it can be pouring down rain one moment, and then the next moment, the sun will be out. But it usually goes back to raining. Or it rains when it's sunny. It rains. A LOT. But I love it. Rainy, dreary, cloudy days are one of my favorite things. Even if it's not pouring here, it's usually still misting, or the clouds look like they're about to unleash something. Though it's peaceful and beautiful now, I'm not sure how I'll feel about the constant rain once it turns to sleet and snow . . .

-Walking around in nature. So many trails and such beautiful scenery! It makes me feel bad if I don't take a walk around the lake or through the forest at least once every day. Walking through the forest is such a magical, relaxing experience. Especially right after it rains. All the greenery is so bright and everything smells like pure, fresh nature. 

(Photo from a walk on the trails during/after it rained)

-Exploring the nearby town. Jönköping is a big city with lots of cute streets and shops. Lots of pizza places too. It's a lovely 20 minute train ride away, and though we've mainly just walked around, it seems like there are a bunch of fun things to do and yummy places to eat, including this place that looked sort of familiar . . .

   

But the rest of the town is beautiful as well!




Well, that's what we've been up to! Hope that's enough of an update to last for the next couple weeks. Thanks for reading. :) 


1 comment: